A small kitchen should never be an obstacle to having a full life; if you design your kitchen to make the most of the available space then you will easily be able to dish out delicious food for family and friends alike. Apartments in big cities tend to be very cramped, especially if you are operating on a tight budget.
1. Build upwards and not sideways when building cabinets. This will enable you to keep as much floor space free as possible, ensuring that you can move around freely. Keep your cabinets as tall as you require but if you feel that the top ones are not easily accessible then you should keep a stool handy. Keep the shelves at different levels in order to break the monotony of the look. On a similar note, you could fix shelves on the walls and under cabinets to increase storage area in the kitchen.
2. Go with open shelves instead of cabinets in order to give the kitchen an open and airy feel.
3. Use under counter appliances such as refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher in order to increase the work space available to you. If possible, buy the latest appliances that use space efficiently.
4. A foldable table can provide seating in the kitchen without cluttering it up. Use backless stools or at least armless chairs that do not take up a lot of space.
5. If you have awkward spaces in your kitchen, corners for example, then you should make use of a storage arrangement such as a Lazy Susan so that you can easily access the entire area.
6. Install proper lighting in your kitchen so that it looks nice and bright. Do keep in mind that insufficient lighting will make the kitchen look cramped and dingy.
7. Hang bulky pots and pans over your cook area using S-hooks. You could also hang them from wire baskets.
8. Make sure that you only keep the appliances and utensils that you absolutely need so that you can keep clutter down to the absolute minimum.
9. Paint the shelves in a bright and cheerful color in order to make the kitchen as attractive as possible.
If you design your kitchen using these small kitchen ideas then you will be able to get the maximum storage space and work area for your needs. You will also be able to entertain with a great deal of ease and pride in your compact but attractive kitchen.