Home improvement literally knows no limits. Every year homeowners get to hear of dozens of home improvement options available to exploit. Among one of the best additions to this pool is the use of panels on walls as an architectural element in both residential and commercial buildings. In this trend, a single piece of flat material such as wood is usually cut into rectangular shape and installed as the visible and exposed covering for a wall. This is usually done not just to improve the building’s aesthetic appeal but also to improve its functionality. The required material can be found in specialty stores as well as hardware stores.
Types Of Paneling
There are several different types of wall paneling one can find in today’s market. These are mainly classified according to the intended purpose. They include:
1. Decorative: This is done using a variety of attractive looking materials such as wainscot, so as to improve the appearance of the wall. Wainscot is usually made from either wood or synthetic materials and decorated with carvings and designs. Decorative wall panels are usually installed on the lower half of the wall, although the exact height may vary. They usually come pre-fabricated or one can opt to make their own. Other commonly used materials are stainless steel, plastic and laminate.
2. Utility: Here the material is made from perforated hardboard and is used both or functionality and looks. It contains tiny holes which may be used to hang objects using nails or pegs. It is common in garages and kitchens as well as commercial buildings.
3. Tileboard: This makes use of panels made from resin or melamine which are textured and colored to resemble ceramic tiles, which are attached to a moisture-proof backerboard. They are preferred due to their affordability and the fact that they do not have grout lines, making them easy to clean.
4. Structural: This can also be done on the exterior using pre-cast concrete for easy and quick framing of homes and business premises.
Another form is acoustical wall paneling where the structures are used to control noise levels or block noise from passing through walls. Such panels are made from wood or foam and wrapped in a layer of vinyl or fabric. Such are common in schools, hotel rooms and auditoriums.
Benefits Of Decorative Paneling
Paneling is increasingly becoming a popular trend much because of its versatility. Decorative wall panels for instance are not just limited to improving the appearance of a building. Aside from increasing visual appeal:
• They also help to preserve the interior surfaces. This helps to cut down on unnecessary maintenance costs.
• They are much easier to clean since most are glossy, and do not need any repainting from time to time.
In case you are searching for interior or exterior decoration options, this doesn’t sound like a bad idea.